SUMMER 2021 VIRTUAL ARABIC PROGRAM SESSIONS
Session I: June 7 - July 8
Session II: July 12 - August 11
JUMPSTART STUDENT ORIENTATION & TECHNOLOGY REQUIREMENTS WEBINAR
Saturday, May 29th @ 11:00am PST/Arizona Time
(Please check your Email for Zoom link)
The Jumpstart 2021 Application is closed!
Please check back in March for the Jumpstart Summer Program 2022
Jumpstart your university career this summer through this funded summer Arabic online program for high school students. Earn 5-10 college credits in the summer at one of the top U.S. Arabic programs.
About the Jumpstart Program
The University of Arizona Arabic Jumpstart Program allows high school juniors and seniors as well as incoming freshmen to the University of Arizona to take an intensive Arabic summer course through virtual instruction for college credit at a reduced tuition rate and with scholarship support. The program includes a diverse range of online activities that boost students' knowledge of the Arabic language and Arab cultures.
· Earn 5-10 college credits in just 5-10 weeks at MENAS online with one of the top Arabic programs in the U.S.
· Qualify for the elite University of Arizona Arabic Flagship Program, one of only seven in the United States.
· Enjoy a variety of online educational and fun-filled cultural activities throughout the program.
· Benefit from a special high-school student reduced tuition rate and additional scholarships.
· Explore the UA campus online
· Enjoy mentoring and tutoring specifically for JUMPSTART high school students to ensure success.
Summer 2021 Virtual Arabic Program
The goal of the Summer 2021 Virtual Arabic Program at the University of Arizona is to provide an immersive learning experience that deepens students’ proficiency in the Arabic language and expands their understanding of Arab culture.
The program consists of synchronous daily morning classes and afternoon guided and personalized learning. A series of live interactive cultural activities provide experiential learning and added Arabic immersion. The activities highlight various cultural aspects of the Arabic-speaking world in general, with the virtual interactive tours taking place in Morocco.
Summer Program Schedule
Below are the activities that will be mandatory for all Summer Arabic program participants.
A. Daily Schedule:
- Classes: Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 12:30pm (AZ time).
- Lunch Break: 12:30 - 1:00pm (AZ time).
- Office hours/ Study hall: Monday to Friday, 1:00 - 3:00pm (AZ time).
B. Cultural Program: The cultural program will be divided into three main areas: cultural clubs, films, and Morocco-based virtual interactive tours.
- Cultural Clubs: Wednesdays 11:30am - 12:30pm (AZ time).
- Virtual tours / film screenings with assignments for Monday:
a. Virtual Tours: Friday, 8:30- 9:30 am (AZ time) held during Weeks 2, 4, 7 and 9.
b. Films will be assigned on D2L for weekend viewing.
C. For Jumpstart students
1. All Jumpstart students will meet with a tutor/mentor for three 30-minute sessions per week (in a group or individually).
Applying to the Program
How to Apply:
High School Juniors and Seniors: Apply to Jumpstart Program
- Select Track 1 or 2
- Complete Jumpstart Application form including scholarship information (due May 5th)
- Send letter of recommendation link to language instructor (due May 5th)
- Complete the University of Arizona Admissions Form (please see below)
Non-UA students: Apply to Non-Degree Seeking Student Application
- Create an account
- Follow Step-By-Step Guide to fill out application https://slate.admissions.arizona.edu/register/NDSPrograms18
- Pay the fee: Arizona Residents pay $50.00; Non-residents pay $80.00
- Select Submit!
If you have questions about the UA Admissions Application, please call the Office of Admissions at 520-621-3237.
Once you are enrolled at the University of Arizona and have a NetID, (which could take up to a week to receive) please go to UAccess and log on to the Student Center; there, you can confirm your enrollment into the ARB Summer Sessions I and/or II. If you have any questions or issues regarding enrolling, please email Lora Galabi: email@example.com
Deadline to submit application is May 5th, 2021. Applicants will be notified about Arabic Jumpstart acceptances and possible scholarships by May 10th.
MANDATORY ORIENTATION for Students & Parents will be held: Date and Time TBD
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Pre-collegiate scholarships available, depending on Jumpstart track pursued (see below).
Track 1: Jumpstart to Flagship
Eligibility: Current high school seniors joining the University of Arizona as freshmen in Fall 2021 who plan to join the prestigious Arizona Arabic Flagship Program. Applicants pursuing any major qualify for this track and can benefit from study abroad and funding opportunities in the Flagship Program. Open to students from all over the United States.
Fully Funded: This track offers full funding for Summer Session I and/or Session II (tuition, fees, online tutoring, college mentoring and advising and online cultural activities.
Track 2: Jumpstart to College
Eligibility: Rising high school juniors and seniors from anywhere in the U.S. who are motivated to:
- Receive college credit
- Get exposure to college life
- Pursue advanced Arabic
Funding: Offers large tuition reduction. Online cultural activities and events will be covered by the program along with tutoring, college mentoring and advising. Remaining tuition/fees expenses after reduction are close to $600 per session. Applicants interested in scholarships to cover fully or partially the remaining $600 per session may apply for funding while completing the application form.
Due to online instruction for Summer 2021, there will be NO housing offered.
For more information please contact: