Until further notice, the University of Arizona, in accordance with the guidelines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, encourages all employees to work remotely. Our office in 440 Marshall Building is closed to the public, but you can reach the School of Middle Eastern & North African Studies, Monday–Friday 8am-5pm:
- Director: Ben Fortna firstname.lastname@example.org 520-621-1732
- Administrative Assistant: Randa Abdu email@example.com 520-561-2098
Apply to M.A. or Ph.D. Program
The application deadline for Fall 2021 has passed.
Applications for Fall 2022 will open in August and will have a deadline in early January 2022.
We encourage all domestic student to who will be taking language courses to apply to the Foreign Language and Area Studues (FLAS) fellowship. Information about the fellowship award, requirements, and deadlines can be found on the Center for Middle Eastern Studies page using this link.
How to Apply
To apply, you must complete the University of Arizona Graduate College online application. Follow these steps:
- Create a GradApp account
- Complete your GradApp profile under "My Account".
- Select "Apply to a Program" from the sidebar.
- Choose "Degree Seeking" under application type and either "Middle Eastern and North African Studies (MA)" or "Middle Eastern and North African Studies (PhD)" under program of study.
- Choose the semester during which you wish to enter the program.
- Your application should now be initiated under "My Active Applications."
To be considered for the M.A. or Ph.D. programs you must:
- Hold a bachelor's or master's degree with a 3.0 GPA (cumulative GPA or last 60 semester units if your undergraduate GPA is lower than 3.0 cumulative; graduate GPA will be taken cumulative only)
- Minimum GRE scores of 150 for verbal reasoning and 3.5 for analytical writing
We invite highly qualified B.A. students to apply directly to the Ph.D. program. Applicants accepted into the Ph.D. program without an M.A. will be awarded an M.A. in MENAS after successfully completing the MENAS M.A. requirements, which are included in their course of doctoral study. These requirements comprise 33 units of graduate MENAS coursework.
An $85 application fee is due when you submit your application.
Statement of Purpose
Include a statement of purpose indicating the academic and professional goals you hope to achieve in pursuit of this program of study.
Letters of Recommendation
You'll need three letters of recommendation. Enter contact information for your referees in the online application. Your referees will be contacted directly by the University of Arizona.
Transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended or are currently attending are required. Unofficial transcripts must be uploaded with your application. You must submit official transcripts, later on, before you can be officially admitted by the Graduate College.
Upload your current resume or curriculum vitae outlining your education, honors, membership and participation in professional organizations, employment history, research and scholarly activities and publications in the Supplemental Questions section of the application.
Submit a writing sample in English (term paper, chapter of thesis, etc).
Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are required for both domestic and international students. Ask that your scores be sent to Institution Code #4832. Use school code 2201 (area studies), or 2299 (social sciences, other). GRE test scores must be dated within 5 years of enrollment.
English Language Proficiency (International Applicants)
While the department does not require a TOEFL score, the University of Arizona Graduate College does. Self-report your Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores. Official scores must also be submitted via ETS to the Graduate College (Institution Code is 4832). TOEFL score must be dated within 2 years of enrollment.