Apply to MA or PhD Program
Applications for Fall 2023 admission closed on January 6, 2023. Applications for Fall 2024 admission will open October 2023.
To be considered for the MA or PhD programs applicants must:
- Hold a BA or MA with a 3.0 GPA (cumulative GPA or last 60 semester units if your undergraduate GPA is lower than 3.0 cumulative; graduate GPA will be taken cumulative only)
- Have minimum GRE scores of 150 for verbal reasoning and 3.5 for analytical writing
- Meet Graduate College requirements for international applicants
Entering the PhD Program without an MA
Applicants accepted into the PhD program without an MA will be awarded an MA in MENAS after successfully completing the MENAS MA requirements.
Students entering the PhD program with only a BA/BS will be reviewed at the end of their second year, after completing the MA thesis. The Graduate Committee and the student’s advisor will review the student’s performance and make a recommendation as to whether the student should be awarded a terminal MA or continue with the PhD program.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online.
- Create a GradApp account.
- Complete GradApp profile under "My Account".
- Select "Apply to a Program" from the sidebar.
- Choose "Degree Seeking" under application type and either "Middle Eastern and North African Studies (MA)" or "Middle Eastern and North African Studies (PhD)" under program of study.
- Choose the term of admission to the program.
- Application will be initiated under "My Active Applications."
GRE Scores: Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are required for both domestic and international students. Scores should be sent to Institution Code 4832. School code 2201 (area studies) or 2299 (social sciences, other) should be used. GRE test scores must be dated within 5 years of enrollment.
English Language Proficiency (International Applicants): The University of Arizona Graduate College outlines English Proficiency requirements for international students here: https://grad.arizona.edu/admissions/requirements/international-applicants. All tests must be dated within 2 years of the enrollment term to be considered valid. The University of Arizona's institution code for sending official electronic score reports from ETS is 4832.
Transcripts: Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended are required. Unofficial transcripts must be uploaded with the application. Submission of official transcripts is required upon being admitted.
Letters of Recommendation: 3 letters of recommendation. Referees will be contacted directly by the University of Arizona.
MA Application: A 10 page/3,000 word writing sample in English (term paper, chapter of thesis, etc.)
PhD Application: A 20 page/6,000 word writing sample in English (term paper, chapter of thesis, etc.)
Resume/Curriculum Vitae: A current resume or curriculum vitae outlining education, honors, membership and participation in professional organizations, employment history, research and scholarly activities and publications.
Statement of Purpose: A 1-2 page statement of purpose that discusses academic and professional goals, research interests, and qualifications and indicators of success in this endeavor.
Application Fee: The application fee is due upon submitting an application.
Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship
We encourage all domestic students to apply to the Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowship.