Graduate Financial Aid
The School of Middle East and North African Studies awards financial aid on a competitive basis. Meritorious factors include demonstrated excellence in academics including GPA, progress in the program (for current students), test scores (for incoming students), publication, and professional experience such as a previous assistantship or other Middle East-related experience.
MENAS Awards & Funding:
- Adel Gamal Advanced Arabic Award
- Michael Bonine Memorial Research and Travel Award
- Nofal Family Foundation Fellowship
- Dissertation Tuition Waiver
- Conference Travel Support
Roshan GIDP in Persian and Iranian Studies:
- Roshan Cultural Heritage Institute Graduate Fellowship
- Taleghani Graduate Fellowship in Iranian Studies
CMES Awards & Funding:
- Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship through the Center for Middle Eastern Studies
- Study Abroad through the Center for Middle Eastern Studies
Other Sources of Funding:
- UA Graduate College
- Graduate Center Office of Fellowships
- Office of Student Financial Aid
- Scholarship Universe
MENAS offers a variety of teaching assistantships in general education and language courses.
Graduate College Fellowship Awards
MENAS has regularly awarded Graduate College Fellowships to support our students.
Nofal Family Foundation Fellowship
Thanks to a generous gift from the Nofal Family Foundation, the School of Middle Eastern & North African Studies will be able to offer financial support to incoming Masters students in their first year pursuing degrees in MENAS.
Dissertation Tuition Waiver
MENAS covers 1 unit of MENA 920: Dissertation, when possible, for PhD students beyond their five consecutive years of funding. Students must have a minimum graduate GPA of 3.0. Students interested in a tuition waiver need to contact the MENAS Director.
Conference Travel Support
Small conference travel support may be available for students presenting at or attending scholarly conferences. Preference is given to students who are presenting, but funding for attending a conference may also be available.