Until further notice, the University of Arizona, in accordance with the guidelines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, encourages all employees to work remotely. Our office in 440 Marshall Building is closed to the public, but you can reach the School of Middle Eastern & North African Studies, Monday–Friday 8am-5pm:
- Director: Ben Fortna firstname.lastname@example.org 520-621-1732
- Program Coordinator: Sergio Cañez email@example.com 520-260-0837
- Administrative Assistant: Randa Abdu firstname.lastname@example.org 520-561-2098
SUMMER 2021 VIRTUAL ARABIC PROGRAM SESSIONS
Session I: June 7 - July 8
Session II: July 12 - August 11
THE DEADLINE TO APPLY FOR THE SUMMER 2021 TERM AS A NON-DEGREE SEEKING STUDENT IS MAY 3rd, 2021!
About the Program
Earn 10 credits in just 10 weeks at one of the top Arabic programs in the United States.
The Arabic summer program, through virtual instruction, at the University of Arizona at the School of Middle Eastern and North African Studies (MENAS) is a rigorous, immersive program that adopts the proficiency-based approach and emphasizes cultural literacy and the use of technology.
The program offers a variety of online classes and online cultural activities. Three levels of Arabic are taught by dynamic, innovative and experienced teachers in a supportive and culturally-rich environment.
The program is open to:
- University of Arizona students (graduate and undergraduate). You can register through UAccess
- Scholarships that require a minimum of 120 hours of instruction (e.g. FLAS)
Summer 2021 Virtual Arabic Program
The goal of the Summer 2021 Virtual Arabic Program at the University of Arizona is to provide an immersive learning experience that deepens students’ proficiency in the Arabic language and expands their understanding of Arab culture.
The program consists of synchronous daily morning classes and afternoon guided and personalized learning. A series of live interactive cultural activities provide experiential learning and added Arabic immersion. The activities highlight various cultural aspects of the Arabic-speaking world in general, with the virtual interactive tours taking place in Morocco.
Summer Program Schedule:
Below are the activities that will be mandatory for all Summer Arabic program participants.
- Daily Schedule:
- Classes: Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 12:30pm (AZ time). "Synchronous with live instruction."
- Lunch Break: 12:30 - 1:00pm (AZ time).
- Office hours/ Study hall: Monday to Friday 1:00 - 3:00pm (AZ time). "Will be supervised by teachers and TAs to support students in their independent study."
B. Cultural Program: The cultural program will be divided into three main areas: cultural clubs, films, and Morocco-based virtual interactive tours.
- Cultural Clubs: Wednesdays 11:30am - 12:30pm (AZ time).
- Virtual tours / film screenings with assignments for Monday:
a. Virtual Tours: Friday 8:30 - 9:30am (AZ time) held during Weeks 2, 4, 7 and 9.
b. Films will be assigned on D2L for weekend viewing.
Additional Program-Specific Requirements
- For Project GO students
PGO students will meet with:
- a tutor for three 30-minute sessions per week (in a group or individually)
- a language partner for 10 hours each summer session, one on one.
- For Jumpstart students
- All Jumpstart students will meet with a tutor/mentor for three 30-minute sessions per week (in a group or individually).
Summer Course Offerings
All online classes are approximately four hours per day, five days a week, followed by online study time/office hours and cultural activities.
Prior Arabic: All students with prior Arabic will take a proficiency assessment test to determine the level at which you will be placed.
- Elementary Arabic I, ARB 101: June 7 - July 8
For students with no previous language background in Arabic. Students cover Alif Baa and Lessons 1-6 of Al-Kitaab, Part one.
- Elementary Arabic II, ARB 102: July 12 - August 11
Prior completion of one college semester (or equivalent) of Arabic is required. Lessons 7-13 of Al-Kitaab, Part one are covered in this course.
- Intermediate Arabic I, ARB 401: June 7 - July 8
Prior completion of two college semesters (or equivalent) of Arabic is required. This course covers Lessons 14-20 of Al-Kitaab, Part one.
- Intermediate Arabic II, ARB 402: July 12 - August 11
Prior completion of three college semesters (or equivalent) of Arabic is required. This course covers Lessons 1-5 of Al-Kitaab, Part Two.
- Advanced Arabic I, ARB 405: June 7 - July 8
Prior completion of four college semesters (or equivalent) of Arabic is required. This course covers advanced level Arabic content material.
- Advanced Arabic II, ARB 406: July 12 - August 11
Prior completion of five college semesters (or equivalent) of Arabic is required. This course covers advanced level Arabic content material.
Along with online Arabic classes and office hours, the summer program organizes a variety of online cultural activities that aim to enhance the students’ familiarity with the culture and society in the Middle East. These activities include sessions of Arab calligraphy, music, and film screenings, as well as introducing students to famous Arab traditions such as traditional dances, clothes, celebrations, and henna.
Due to online instruction for Summer 2021, there will be NO housing offered.
Textbooks and Materials
While the online program uses the Al-Kitaab textbook series, all courses use additional language and culture materials, as well as many technology-based resources that help with speeding up the learning process.
Tuition and Costs
Summer 2021 tuition and fee totals (differs from reduced tuition totals):
One Summer Session: $2,466.06
Two Summer Sessions: $4,932.12
For more information regarding tuition costs, please use the University tuition and fees calculator. Note:
1 summer session = 5 units/credits
2 summer sessions = 10 units/credits
How to Apply
THE DEADLINE FOR UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA INCOMING FRESHMEN IS MAY 3rd, 2021
THE DEADLINE TO SUBMIT JUMPSTART APPLICATIONS IS MAY 3rd, 2021
University of Arizona students:
Please go to UAccess and log on to the Student Center; there, you should be able to enroll for ARB Summer Sessions I and II.
Non-University of Arizona students:
A completed registration form and non-degree seeking application is required for enrollment.
- Complete registration form
- Apply to non-degree-seeking student application
- Create an account
- Follow NDS Step-By-Step guide to fill out application
- Pay the fee: Arizona Residents pay $50.00; Non-residents pay $80.00
- Select Submit!
Once you are enrolled at the University of Arizona and have your student ID and pin number (this process may take up to a week), you will receive instructions to create your UA NETID. Next, please go to UAccess and log on to the Student Center; there, you should be able to enroll for ARB Summer Sessions I and II.
High School Juniors and Seniors: Apply to Jumpstart Program
Deadline to submit application is May 3rd, 2021. Applicants will be notified about Arabic Jumpstart acceptances and possible scholarships by May 10th.
For more information on how to apply to the program, please click here: https://menas.arizona.edu/jumpstart
For more information on the summer Arabic program, please contact program director Dr. Sonia Shiri at email@example.com.
Get COVID-19 updates and information for the University of Arizona community.