Until further notice, the University of Arizona, in accordance with the guidelines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, encourages all employees to work remotely. Our office in 440 Marshall Building is closed to the public, but you can reach the School of Middle Eastern & North African Studies, Monday–Friday 8am-5pm:
- Director: Ben Fortna firstname.lastname@example.org 520-873-7008
- Program Coordinator: Sergio Cañez email@example.com 520-260-0837
- Administrative Assistant: Randa Abdu firstname.lastname@example.org 520-561-2098
Adel Gamal Advanced Arabic Award
2019 Application has already passed. Stay tuned for 2020 deadline.
The award will support students pursuing a degree in Advanced Arabic Language through The School of Middle Eastern and North African Studies, students fulfilling an academic degree that requires Advanced Arabic Langauge, as well as undergraduate or graduate students in the School of Middle Eastern and North African Studies.
Undergraduate Student Eligibility
The student must be in good academic standing at the University of Arizona with a GPA of at least 2.8 or have two letters of recommendation from a language instructor that explains the student's language proficiency in Arabic.
Graduate Student Eligibility
The graduate student must be enrolled in the School of Middle Eastern and North African Studies. Applicants should demonstrate that the award funds will be used to further their Arabic language comprehension and should submit the writing of their thesis, dissertation or manuscript demonstrating their research interest in the language.
- The application should be submitted by the date indicated at the top of this page (February 25th, 2019).
- Complete the application at the University of Arizona Scholarship Universe.
- Submit a resume or curriculum vitae, not to exceed two pages.
- If the applicant is newly enrolled in the UA please submit two letters of recommendation from two separate language instructors.
- A letter of reference addressed to the 'Adel Gamal Advanced Arabic Award.' For undergraduate students, this letter could be from a professor, advisor, or employment supervisor. For graduate students, this letter is typically from the student's masters or doctoral faculty advisor. Names and contact information of recommenders will be entered in Scholarship Univers, which will contact them to request letters.
- Recipients are expected to write a letter of thanks to Dr. Adel Gamal and provide a brief written summary of the endeavors supported by this award by the end of the academic year that the award is granted. Descriptions may be used to publicize and promote the award. Electronic submissions are preferred.
The selection committee will be appointed and convened by the School of Middle Eastern and North African Studies. The committee will be composed of at least two faculty members and the Director of the School may serve on the committee and or/approve the final selection
The award amount granted shall vary depending on the number of student recipients in any given year and the payout from the endowment.
Donations by University of Arizona faculty and students, family members, and individual donors and businesses/organizations. Funds may continue to be received.