Until further notice, the University of Arizona, in accordance with the guidelines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, encourages all employees to work remotely. Our office in 440 Marshall Building is closed to the public, but you can reach the School of Middle Eastern & North African Studies, Monday–Friday 8am-5pm:
- Director: Ben Fortna firstname.lastname@example.org 520-873-7008
- Program Coordinator: Sergio Cañez email@example.com 520-260-0837
- Administrative Assistant: Randa Abdu firstname.lastname@example.org 520-561-2098
Michael Bonine Memorial Travel & Research Award
The 2019 application has already passed. Stay tuned for 2020 application details.
The award will support undergraduate students' international summer travel important to their research or education, and pursuit of academic activities by graduate students enrolled in or affiliated with, the School of Middle Eastern and North African Studies.
Undergraduate Student Eligibility
The student must be in good standing at the University of Arizona. Preference will be given to dedicated, curious, and ethical students motivated to learn about the world. Travel ‘off-the-beaten-path’ (for example, of two equally qualified students who apply, the one traveling to rural Africa will be preferred over the one traveling to the large cities of western Europe). Preference will also be given to students demonstrating financial need.
Graduate Student Eligibility
The graduate student must be enrolled in the School of Middle Eastern and North African Studies (or with substantial affiliation). Applicants should demonstrate that the awarded funds will be used for travel for original and creative field-based research or library/archive work. The graduate student may also submit an application for support to expedite the writing of his or her thesis, dissertation or manuscript.
- The application should be submitted by the date indicated at the top of this page.
- Complete the application at the University of Arizona Scholarship Universe.
- Recipients are expected to provide a brief written and photographic summary of the endeavors supported by this award by the end of October of the same year. Descriptions and photos will be used to publicize the award. Electronic submissions and/or archives are preferred. Awardees not abiding by these conditions will be asked to refund their award money.
Your application on Scholarship Universe should include the following:
- Include a personal statement describing how the award will be important to your research or education. What difference will the award make to your proposed research or travel plans? If financial hardship is part of your justification, please explain. (one page)
- Include a resume or curriculum vitae, not to exceed two pages.
- Include a copy of your college and/or graduate school transcripts, unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Include names and contact information of recommenders in the Scholarship Universe, which will contact them to request letters. Letters of reference should be addressed to the 'Bonine Travel and Research Award Committee' For undergraduate students, this letter could be from a professor, advisor, or an employment supervisor. For graduate students, this letter is typically from the student's master's or doctoral faculty advisor.
The five members of the Michael Bonine Memorial Travel and Research Award Committee will be appointed and convened by the School of Middle Eastern and North African Studies.
The award amount will generally range between $500 and $2000 and will vary depending on the number of student recipients in any given year.
Donations by family members, University of Arizona faculty and students, and individual donors and/or businesses. Checks made out to the “UA Foundation Michael Bonine Award”