Apply NOW for our Fall Academic Year Program!
*Fall 2019: New Student Application for UA Project GO* -CLICK HERE
University of Arizona ROTC Students Enrolled in Arabic Receive:
*FREE Language Partners!
*FREE Cultural Activities!
*Access Scholarship Opportunities!
See summer student interviews here.
Visit These Links to Quick Search:
ARABIC AND CULTURAL TRAINING FOR ROTC STUDENTS
Project GO is a nationwide program providing training in selected strategic languages for ROTC students at 18 universities in the United States. The University of Arizona is proudly one of the few to provide Arabic language and culture training.
Project GO is coordinated by the School of Middle Eastern North African Studies (MENAS) and draws upon this department's expertise. MENAS cooperates with the leadership of each ROTC service branch represented at UA, to include the Army, Air Force, and Naval ROTC programs. Project GO accepts applications from all members of UA's ROTC community and beyond. The program offers both academic-year training as well as fully-funded scholarships for UA's 8-week summer study abroad program in Morocco or UA's summer program on campus in Tucson . Please check out a video about UA Project GO summer programs.
Project GO staff:
- Sonia Shiri, Project GO Director
- Sarah Blakely, Arabic Special Programs Coordinator
For questions about Project GO, please email us or call (520)-344-0286.
UA Project GO also maintains a group on Facebook for participants in the program. Please visit the UA Arabic Programs Facebook page to keep up to date on upcoming events. If accepted to the program, you will be invited to join the group.
Project GO (Project Global Officer) at University of Arizona provides ROTC students with enhanced training in Arabic language and Middle Eastern culture, designed to enable the University of Arizona's ROTC officer candidates to enter the U.S. military with invaluable linguistic and cultural knowledge.
Academic Year at a Glance:
- Free individual and small group tutoring
- One-on-one interaction with Arabic speaking peer language partner
- Vibrant and engaging cultural activities throughout the semester
- Arabic language film screenings and lectures
Academic year participation will make University of Arizona ROTC students highly competitive for funding for summer immersion programs, which are open to ROTC students nationwide. There are 9 funded scholarships for the Summer in Morocco program, and 6 funded scholarships for the on-campus Arabic program in Tucson, AZ.
Project GO at the University of Arizona offers 6 funded summer scholarships for ROTC students in good standing from any university to study Arabic at UA in Tucson. UA's School of Middle East and North African Studies (MENAS) runs the ten-week summer Arabic program, which goes from June 2, 2019 - August 7, 2019.
Courses are offered in Modern Standard Arabic for first year, second year, and third year students of Arabic. There is personal tutoring for each student participating in this program. Students are also paired with a language partner from the Middle East to offer additional practice in oral acquisition. In addition to language classes, the program offers weekly film screenings, cultural activities, and outings.
Summer at the University of Arizona at a Glance:
- Full scholarships for summer courses
- Vibrant and rigorous programs
- Cutting edge language learning technology
- Friendly Arabic-speaking housing
- Cultural activities and outings in the community
- One-on-one interaction with peer native speakers
- Complete one full year of Arabic in one summer!
Apply Now to the 2019 University of Arizona Project GO Domestic Intensive Summer Program:
Courses offered alongside regional dialect:
- First year Modern Standard Arabic
- Second year Modern Standard Arabic
- Third year Modern Standard Arabic
The following expenses related to summer Arabic at UA are covered by Project GO scholarships:
- Lodging in a UA dorm* ($1440)
- Meal stipend ($900)
- Travel expenses for non-UA students ($450 max)
- Book stipend ($75)
- Cultural activities
- Transfer between the Tucson airport and UA campus upon arrival/departure
- Health Insurance (if not already provided by home institution)
The following expenses related to summer Arabic at UA are not covered by Project GO scholarships:
- $65 non-degree seeking registration fee
- Parking on UA campus
- Non-program related activities
*Students who do not wish to reside in a dorm may petition to receive a housing stipend to cover off-campus housing.
Visit the National Project GO website for detailed program information.
The University of Arizona Project GO offers 9 funded scholarships for the Summer in Morocco program. Located in Meknes, Morocco, the program is an 8-week intensive Arabic immersion program with courses offered in Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) or Colloquial Moroccan dialect. Second Year, Third Year, and Fourth Year MSA are offered. All applicants must have at least one year of MSA background.
University of Arizona Summer in Morocco at a Glance:
- Rich excursions around the city
- Trips to desert in Merzouga, Chefchaouen, Tangier, and Asila.
- Homestays for the duration of the program
- One-on-one interaction with peer native speakers
- A chance to stay in one of Morocco's Imperial cities
- Full culture and language immersion in-country!
Apply Now to the 2019 University of Arizona Project GO Summer in Morocco Program
This eight-week program runs from June 8, 2019 to August 4, 2019
The following expenses related to the Summer in Morocco are covered by Project GO scholarships:
- $80 fee to register with the Study Abroad office
- Homestays with Moroccan families (breakfast and dinner included)
- Partial board on excursions
- Airfare expenses (up to $1,900)
- Transfer between airport overseas and housing accommodations at beginning and end of program.Health insurance
- Visa fees
- Meal and travel stipend
Follow Arabic Special Programs on Social Media