Islamic Studies Track
The Islamic Studies track focuses on the textual traditions of classical Islamic civilization. It provides students with familiarity with the legal, ethical, and mystical traditions of Islam.
MENAS core requirements (12 units)
- HIST 545: Women in Islamic History
- MENA 508A: Islamic Movements in the Contemporary Muslim World
- MENA 536: Love, Sex and Desire in the Islamicate Imaginary
- MENA 544: Islamic Mysticism
- MENA 585A: History of the Iranian Plateau, 600-1501
- MENA 596G: Islamic Law and Society
- MENA 596Q: Qur'anic Studies
- MENA 596H: Shi’ism
- MENA 696I: Special Topics: Advanced Islamic Studies
Coursework should be planned with the advisor and the Director of Graduate Studies.