Until further notice, the University of Arizona, in accordance with the guidelines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, encourages all employees to work remotely. Our office in 440 Marshall Building is closed to the public, but you can reach the School of Middle Eastern & North African Studies, Monday–Friday 8am-5pm:
- Director: Ben Fortna email@example.com 520-873-7008
- Program Coordinator: Sergio Cañez firstname.lastname@example.org 520-260-0837
- Administrative Assistant: Randa Abdu email@example.com 520-561-2098
Accelerated M.A. Program
Complete both your B.A. and M.A. in Middle Eastern and North African Studies in as little as five years.
About the Program
Students admitted into the MENAS Accelerated Master's Program will be able to complete a B.A. and an M.A. (Professional Track) in five years. Students in the Accelerated Master's Program will be required to complete 33 units of coursework, 12 of which may also be applied to a B.A. in MENAS.
You should apply by April 1 of your junior year.
- Meet the Admission Requirements established by the Graduate College
- Complete your Graduate College Application
- Submit a transcript, writing sample, statement of purpose, and one letter of recommendation from a core MENAS faculty member
Students meeting these requirements will receive conditional admission into the program. Those admitted are not required to take the GRE.
Fall Semester, 4th Year
- Take MENA 595D and one 500-level MENAS Core Requirement course.
- Be evaluated by MENAS Graduate Committee for final admission into the program.
Spring Semester, 4th Year
- Take two 500-level MENAS Core Requirement courses.
- Assemble a departmental paper committee.
- Complete MENA 595D and the three MENAS Core Requirement courses (in History, Islamic Studies, and Gender/Culture).
- Complete 21 units total, including the units for concentration and departmental paper
- The graduate committee recommends that students take 12 units during their fall semester and 9 units during their spring semester.
The four 500-level 4th Year courses will count toward up to four of your undergraduate MENAS major requirements. Contact your MENAS major advisor to coordinate which courses in your MENAS major you will take as graduate-level courses once you are accepted into the Accelerated Master's Program.
For More Information
Contact MENAS Program Coordinator, Sergio Canez, for further questions or information.